History: Restoration and Renovation
Throughout the years, maintaining and repairing the Union Hall has been an ongoing project. As is often the case, ongoing projects and ideas are always limited by available funding and number of people willing to donate time and effort. The Union Hall has been fortunate to have had many volunteers for past projects. The following highlights some of the past and ongoing projects.
1888 - February 25- Union Hall Association formed "for raising funds for the purpose of erecting and finishing a hall in the village."
1888 - May - The building frame was up and shingled.
1888 - December - By Christmas the hall was clapboarded and the chimney was built. The underpinning was done, outside finish done, doors and windows in, floor laid and the stage built.
1888 - December - The first function was held - a Christmas festival and Oyster Supper.
1889 - Winter - A. F. Smart was hired to lathe and plaster the hall's ceiling.
1913 - November - Shingles purchased to repair roof.
1914 - The building was in disrepair. A committee raised money and solicited labors for needed repairs.
1914 - August - Lumber was procured for finishing the hall.
1914 - September - O.E. Trask was chosen as janitor of the hall
1915 - The hall was renovated in time to host "In Old New England" presented by the Glenwood Valley Dramatic Club. Fourteen dances were held that year to raise money for lathe and plaster for the hall.
1922 - Money was raised to paint the hall.
1928 - November - Purchased a cookstove for the hall and installed a light on the Southwest corner of the Hall with a projecting arm bracket.
1929 - August - Purchased a new heating system for the hall.
1931 - Summer - Had the East side of the hall roof covered with metal roofing.
1932-1950 - The hall sat mostly in disuse.
1947 - August 8 - The first meeting of the newly formed Vienna Mill Stream Grange was held at the Union Hall.
1950 - Union Hall meetings began once again as did the renovations.
1950 - April - The outside doors were changed so they would swing out. A light was installed in each of the outhouse toilets.
1951 - April - Paint purchased and painting done on the building exterior.
1952- April - Wax was purchased to apply to the floors.
1952 - October - A suspended heating unit which used propane gas was purchased and installed in the hall.
1955 - November - The Mill Stream grange added a wood stove to supplement the heating of the hall.
1956-1975 The hall was once again in disuse.
1975 - February 12 - The first meeting of the year was held to reorganize and use the hall once again.
1976???- The building was set up and used by town youth for playing basketball.
1984 - Once again, after some years of inactivity the building was repaired and restored and has been ongoing ever since.
1984 - October 22 - the Union Hall changed its name to Vienna Union Hall Association, Inc. and proceeded to legally become a non-profit corporation. It was formally incorporated on November 28, 1984.
DATE??? On the inside the old lathe and plaster walls which were coming apart were taken down. The walls were insulated and new Sheetrock was installed.
2005 - Fall - Installed insulation in the attic of the hall. Beautiful vintage light fixtures from an old church in New York were wired and installed. The roof was resealed and the top of the chimney repaired. Propane furnaces were installed replacing the old garage heater. The walls and ceiling of the stage area was insulated and sheet rocked. Finally the old outhouse was repaired and redecorated.
2006 - Spring - Replaced windows in stage area
2006 - July 21- Lightning struck the hall causing a fire but due to quick response by townspeople and fire department the building was saved although it did incur significant smoke and water damage.
2006 - September - Installed sidelights and repaired Sheetrock. Sheetrocked front rooms and installed new lights. Refinished floors. Installed new windows in the front and gable ends of the building
2006 - Fall - Maine correctional group scraped the exterior of the building and replaced old clapboards.
2006 - Late Fall - Insurance paid to hired a carpenter to repair the fire damage inside the building including redoing the ceiling, insulating and repairing and painting the west wall where the most water damage occurred.
2006 - The main floor and stairs to the balcony were sanded and refinished.
DATE ??? - An emergency exit, including a handicap ramp was installed.
DATE ??? - New wiring was installed including new light fixtures.
2007 - Summer - Original front doors were refinished and restored. Stage spotlights installed.
2007 - Fall -The lower exterior of the building was painted by the Maine Correctional Group.
2007 - The outhouse was cleaned and decorated.
2012 - Spring - The Union Hall property was surveyed by York Hill Surveying. Interior painting of the stage proscenium arch as well as the interior trim and wainscoting began.
2012 - July 4-5- Damage to the balcony was repaired.
2012 - October - Painting of wainscoting and trim finished.
2013 - May - Stage floor sanded and finished.
2013 - June - Stage floor supports redone and reinforced
2013 - August - Storms/screens installed on main hall windows
2013 - December - Federal Tax exempt status 501(c)(3) obtained.
2014 - Donation of Gibbs property to UH Association to include handicap ramp.
2014 - Bench repair and painting begun - New seat cushions for benches made.
2014 - July - Front foundation stone reset, granite steps redone, graded and seeded front of building.
2014 - October 1 - The floor of the Union Hall, including the stage is insulated with closed cell foam.
2015 - June-July - Indiegogo fundraising plus offline community donations raised enough for new composting toilet house and new ramp.
2015 - September - New handicap accessible door with crash bar installed.
2015 - October -Nov. - All volunteer work begun on new toilet house and ramp. Sill replacement on the west side of building done. Building and ramp up but not complete.
2015 - December - Received Davis Foundation grant to have the exterior of building and roof painted.
2016 - May - Bench restoration complete.
2016 - May-June - Entire Building painted two colors. New toilet house also painted to match.
2016 - July - Composting Toilet House and handicap ramp completed and ready to use.
2016 - August - Walkway to main door and handicap ramp paved with blacktop.
2016 - September - Decorative bushes planted for landscaping.
2016 - November - Old outhouse repaired for use as storage shed.
2017 - Received Roxanne Quimby Foundation Grant for $10,000 to implement new heating system
2017 - April-May - Installed two new heat pumps on stage and two new Rinnai propane heaters on the main floor of the hall.
2017 - May - Painted stage walls and ceiling black, installed new stage lighting.
2017 - May - Purchased light board to increase lighting flexibility.
2017 - June - Painted 3 sides of storage shed to match main building.
2017 - June - "New" kitchen cabinets installed in back anteroom.
2017 - October - Stained handicap deck.
2017 - November - Built winter snow shield for toilet house.
2017 - November - Installed crushed rock around perimeter of the the hall.
2017 - November - Purchased and had installed new sound system by AV Systems of Maine.
2017 - November - Received Onion Foundation Grant of $2500 for programming for 2018.
2018 - October/November - purchased new step ladder
2019 - November Interior walls,ceiling & proscenium painted
2020 - Shutdown due to the coronavirus pandemic
2021 - Re-oiled stage floor
2021 - Received sheltered venue grant and supplement from the small business association
2022 - Hall re-opens after Covid/ fan installed on outhouse vent
2022 - Attic ladder replaced and crash bar added to front doors